Why are we working harder and longer than ever - but achieving less? The author of Rest: Why You Get More Done When Your Work Less, dropped by to discuss it with us.
Alex Soojung-Kim Pang reckons we’ve started to think of rest and work as opposites - when actually they’re reliant on each other. We unpicked the details of what ‘rest’ really means, why sleep is so important to creativity and productivity and why the next big thing in our working lives could be the four day week.
Listen on iTunes - and don’t forget to subscribe, rate and review!
We talk about research and studies including:
- Cardiff, Oxford and UCL report on intensity of work
- RAND report on £40bn lost from UK economy due to sleep deprivation
- The link between sleep deprivation and risky decision making
- Comparing the relative effects on performance of sleep deprivation and alcohol
And you can find out more about how to make the most of your rest in some of our other blog posts:
- How to hack your dreams like a creative genius
- Can you make yourself a morning person?
- Sleeping clean: why sleep hygiene is essential and how to do it properly
- Feeling blue? Turn off the tech